Source code security is critical to protecting software from malicious attacks and security breaches. Fortunately, powerful tools are available to detect potential vulnerabilities.
Protect source code with data loss prevention tools
Data loss prevention tools (DLP) are software solutions designed to prevent the loss or disclosure of sensitive data. To do this, these tools monitor the flow of data within a network.
Companies set policies to ensure that data is protected. When a potential breach is detected, the software can take action to block or prevent the unauthorised data flow.
Data leaks and data theft can be combated by applying security policies to the source code. For example, it detects when code is copied into an email or onto a storage device such as a USB stick, or uploaded to websites.
The functionality of DLP tools usually includes:
- Content monitoring: Data in various formats are analysed, e.g. in text files, emails or file attachments.
- Data Classification: The tools enable the categorisation of data based on its sensitivity and the level of protection it requires.
- Data Discovery: Servers, databases and other storage locations are scanned to find sensitive data that is unprotected or inadequately secured.
- Data Loss Prevention Policies: Companies define individual policies on how data should be handled. The tool ensures that the policies are enforced.
- Incident Response: DLP tools send alerts when dangerous activities or policy violations are detected.
DLP software for source code protection (2023)
The list provides an overview of three DLP software providers.
#1 Digital Guardian DLP
Digital Guardian is an American company and offers data loss prevention products. Malicious actions and malware on end devices are to be detected and stopped. Digital Guardian offers software for end users as well as for companies.
- Many configuration options
- Good integration with other tools
- Visualisation of information
- System becomes slow
#2 Forcepoint DLP
Forcepoint prevents exfiltration of sensitive data and provides unified policy management with centralised control of all channels or security vectors through a single policy.
- User Experience
- Database grows quickly
#3 GTTB DLP
- Easy navigation
- Easy integration
- Deployment on Macs
- Clients cannot be updated via the console
How do you protect source code without DLP tools and already in the first step of software development?
DLP tools offer a comprehensive way to protect sensitive data and source code from being leaked or stolen. Another way you can increase source code security is through Remote Development Environments (RDEs).
Some RDE providers make it possible that the source code and test data are not stored locally on the developer’s laptop. For example, with our Cloudomation DevStack product, you have the option of storing the source code exclusively on the RDEs and developers are not allowed to download it. . The risk of theft or loss of the source code is therefore already prevented during day-to-day work.
- Data loss prevention tools (DLP) can be used to prevent the misuse of data. These tools monitor the data flow within a network.
- Providers of remote development environments (such as Cloudomation) sometimes offer the option that the source code and test data are not stored locally on the developers’ laptops. This increases security within the development team.
Subscribe to the Cloudomation newsletter
Become a Cloudomation Insider. Always receive new news on “Remote Development Environments” and “DevOps” at the end of the month.